Frequently Asked Questions

Foster Care

Have more questions?

Please look below at a list we've complied of commonly asked questions. If you don't find the question or answer you are looking for, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'd love to answer any questions you may have!

What children are in foster care?

Children of all backgrounds and cultures are currently in the Washington State foster care system. Ages range from birth to 21 years old and often times children in foster care are victims of trauma, neglect, and abuse.  Although children in foster care are not there by any fault of their own, being removed from their family can be stressful and traumatizing, resulting in behavioral challenges.

Who can live in the house if I become a foster parent?

Anyone residing in your home, over the age of 18, must pass a background clearance check through the Washington State Patrol, fingerprint check through the FBI and a Child Abuse and Neglect Reference Check. Anyone between the ages 16-18 must complete a Washington State background check.

How long will any one child be in my home?

Children are placed in foster care under various circumstances and therefor their length of stay is unpredictable. Some children are in foster care for as little as a few days to a few months, while some can spend the majority of their childhood in care. Factors such as biological parent stability, relative placements, and health and safety of the child are considered in determining placement and family reunification.

What child would be most successful in my home?
Our Child Placement Coordinator works with each foster parent to asses what child would be most successful in their family. This can include the foster child's cultural and language background, medical needs, age range and gender identity. Many of our homes have specialized preferances that we accommodate with each placement.  

Does your agency support and facilitate adoptions?

Yes. Although Kid Sense is not an adoption agency as we mainly specialize in supporting long-term foster homes, we do support and can help facilitate foster to adoption situations.  This can be a lengthy, complex, and emotionally draining process as foster to adopt cases are never guaranteed. However, as Kid Sense completes the process of licensing your foster home, will help support and guide you through this process.

Is there a fee to license with your agency?

No, our foster parents do not pay any fee to us, ever. 

Will I get paid for my time as a foster parent?

Kid Sense will ensure that you get a monthly non-taxable reimbursement that is timely and complete. The amount of your reimbursement will depend on the current basic rate for the age range of the child(ren) in your home.

Does your agency license therapeutic homes?
Although our homes are not Behavioral Rehabilitation Services (BRS) homes, Kid Sense is based on a Family Treatment model. Based on our philosophy, foster parents are the primary treatment provider for the foster children placed in their care as they are there for the daily needs and support  of each child.